Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:59:19 +0930 (CST)
From:      Martin Minkus <diskiller@cnbinc.com>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP connection dropped

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, J McKitrick wrote:

> Well, i don't have the log file here at work, but if i remember, both ppp
> and pppd (depending what i was using) were both connected and doing
> fine...
>
> Then ppp says:
> Disconnected !
> connected for x minutes
>
> pppd (when using kppp) says:
> Modem hangup
> connected for X minutes
>
> Last night i was online for almost an hour... sometimes the connection
> dies after 3 minutes.  Either way, average is about 15 minutes.  I just
> don't get why this doesn't happen with windows.  I tried a direct line (no
> answering machine or extensions in the way).  I also tried 2 different
> ISPs.  I tried disabling X2 and 56K.  But there is simply no rhyme or
> reason.  Maybe just a conspiracy to keep non-windows laptops off the
> web...  ;-)

maybe? :)

I must say its perplexing ... (i've always used windows and Linux and
never had a problem) and first day i used FreeBSD (with no experience) i
got the kernel pppd driver going without a hitch.

I now maintain a permenant 24hr PPP connection using the ppp userspace
driver, and have no problems, ever.

Anyway, i'm not really an expert (i certainly have no experience with the
ppp drivers, or their code), i was merely anwsering how to copy/paste from
the xterm :)

But anyway, i'll have a go at it :)

Hrms ... perhaps your ISP is using a slightly 'broken' ppp protocol, or
something a little non-standard that maybe FBSD doesn't like ? i don't
know. The kernel pppd driver is identical in FBSD and Linux i believe
(same manual page even!) so there is something strange there.

Perhaps its not a PPP problem, but a serial port problem .... that is,
your serial port might not be configured correctly under FBSD causing
this. (is the modem internal, external, etc?) Have you got the right IRQ
and port?

Sometimes a problem is simpler then you think. PPP may have nothing to do
with it.

D.

Martin Minkus aka DiSKiLLeR - www.diskiller.net
Ph: +61 8 82420187 Email: diskiller@cnbinc.com