Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 05:44:22 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System startup scripts

Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> Don't know about user startup dirs. You could do what I did for running
> rc5des as a user:
>
> idprio 31 nice -20 su ludwigp -c /home/ludwigp/bovine/rc5des

Thanks, that'll do nicely.

> (stick this into a file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d or somewhere in rc.local)
>
> fetchmail, however, is a good candidate for a user crontab entry, where
> each user can have their own cron jobs.
>
> >crontab -e
> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
> HOME=/home/ludwigp
> #minute hour    mday    month   wday    command
> 0       3       *       *       *       fetchmail -s -L
> $HOME/.fetchmaillog

Not in daemon mode it don't. Giving a "-d <period>" makes it be its
own cron. OTOH, I just assumed daemon mode would be the way to go.
But... is it really? Crontab does indeed prevent the above problem
and its overhead in starting fetchmail should be negligable. Again
thanks, with that daemon mode on the brain I hadn't considered this
solution.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.