Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:22:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   server management chipsets

Hi,

Is there a definitive list anywhere of what server management chipsets are
supported under 4.x/-stable?

I've got three types of mainboards and have all the iic and smb options
compiled in, but nothing is found on any of them.  I was digging around a
Linux site dedicated to the topic and it looks pretty grim; everyone's got
a standard...

Anyhow, anyone know about support for "system health" monitoring (ie: fan
speeds, cpu temp) on the following:

Intel SRMKS2 (server model number, they don't note a mainboard part #)

"Two Heceta 3 controllers are provided on the motherboard to monitor
temperature, voltage, and fan speed. In addition to the on chip
temperature sensor, each Heceta provides input pins for connection to an
external temperature sensor. These inputs are connected to the Pentium(R)
III thermistor outputs. Access to the two Heceta controllers is provided
through the SMB bus.  Heceta #1 is mapped onto SMB address [0101 101x].
Heceta #2 is mapped onto SMB address [0101 110x], where x is the
Read/Write bit of the SMB bus. These can also be listed as 0x2d and 0x2e.
Table 17 shows the functions monitored by each Heceta controller."

SuperMicro P4DPR-6GM+

Not much detail in the manual, but this is what I can find -
 "IPMI (Intelligent Platform Management Interface) 1.5 option
  FUCI (Frontside USB Control Interface)
  DMI support
  Support for system management software (LDCM)"
No mention of what chipset this is, no mention of IIC or SMB busses.

Tyan "Thunder LE" S2510

"Myson 2-ch hardware monitoring chip
 Vitesse VSC210 controller (IPMI)
 Tailored for IPMI baseboard management controller (BMC) applications"

So if anyone has these mainboards, and is somehow collecting system health
info, I'd love to hear from you.  And if anyone has any pointers as to
getting the management busses recognized (if possible), that would be
great...  I don't see anything about IPMI and FreeBSD in my Googling, I'm
guessing that's something new that is not yet supported?  Any background
on all these different monitoring methods is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman