Date:      09 Dec 1999 12:55:34 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Shaun Jurrens <shamz@login2.powertech.no>
Cc:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI problem ... OS or just bus?

Shaun Jurrens <shamz@login2.powertech.no> writes:
>On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 05:55:10AM -0500, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>#> Is the SCSI chain too long?
>#>
>#> H
>There are only three drives internally with extra cooling on the flat band
>cable connected to the wide bus.  The cable is ca. 30cm long.  AFAIK, the scsi
>wide bus will work up to 1.3m, or maybe it was 3m, in any case the cable isn't
>too long.  It all worked perfectly up until about the end of June, actually.
>The bugs seemed too random to put my finger on it, although I have really
>tried everything.

	I've seen SCSI cables go bad (usually after handling/plugging/etc,
but sometimes apparently randomly, even in the days of 5MB/s 8-bit SCSI).
The effects can be very strange.  Also, active terminators could go bad or
get damaged, etc (quite less likely).  Another common often-forgotten
failure mode is a power-supply problem.  I've seen drives that will spin up
and talk, and when you try to get them to read/seek, they'd reset or even
head-crash - until you moved them to another power supply.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com