Date:      Fri, 28 May 2010 18:27:17 +0100
From:      "Graeme Dargie" <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Media streaming

=20

From: Adam Vande More [mailto:amvandemore@gmail.com]=20
Sent: 28 May 2010 01:25
To: Graeme Dargie
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

=20

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Graeme Dargie
<arab@tangerine-army.co.uk> wrote:

Okies well so far I have tried mediatomb, the TV sees the server but
gives the same message as with ushare "this server does not support" be
useful if it said what it didn't support but there we go.=20

I've used mediatomb fairly regularly.  I stream to my ps3 and it works
quite well but it is quite picky about format of the video.  Check to
make sure yours meets the specs.  I don't know of anything that does
transcoding "on-demand" if I understand your desires correctly.  The
video must be in the correct format to be streamed.  Finding the
"correct format" required trial and error and a lot of time.  I suggest
splitting off like 30 secs of a file and getting that work.  After that,
you can re-encode the files you want streamed.

--=20
Adam Vande More

=20

Hi Adam,

=20

I can happily stream to my xbox 360 via ushare it seems to be fine with
xvid and divx encoded avi`s. My Sony Television on the other hand
supports only mpeg2, avchd I did re-encode 1 file to mpeg2 and it plays
fine but not via BSD only via win 7 and wmp12 but that really is not a
viable option for me as I have 640gb of media files that would require
this treatment.  The TV streams ok via win 7 and wmp12 that would have
been acceptable solution if it were not for two major niggles with that
solution, it will not play a file to the TV that does not reside on the
local system, all of my media is on a ZFS raidz pool on FreeBSD 8.0 and
I have to use the PC to start the playing of the file.  I have also
tried mezzamo on win 7 which is only a trial, on the limited testing I
have tried it has a nasty habit of just stopping streaming, sometimes it
takes 3 or 4 goes to get a file to play through, but at least that one
lets me select via the television.

=20

I will keep hunting, there will be a solution somewhere .

=20

Regards

=20

Graeme=20