Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 14:39:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: offtopic: low level format of IDE drive.

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 02:08:27PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > :power while writing to disk. The drive wrote out garbage to a track.
> > :
> > :I want to reformat the drive, (low level) but the bios doesn't have any
>
> for what matters, sometimes I managed to recover the disk by just
> dd'ing a zero block to the broken sectors using dd oseek=<nn>
> where nn is the sector number where read fails.

If you have a power failure during writing, you can actually screw
up the low level format of the disk.

It sounds like the disk you dd'ed only had the high level format
screwed up.

Julian got struck by lightning; perhaps he will now stick to disks
with built-in lightning rods (e.g. not succeptible to this failure),
e.g. SCSI.

-- Terry