Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:23:00 +0300
From:      "Yan V. Batuto" <batuto@wgc.chem.pu.ru>
To:        Matt Loschert <loschert@servint.com>, Munish Chopra <chopra@soulwax.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2-RELEASE TODO

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Munish Chopra wrote:

> > > 	Hello Munish,
> > > 	I would realy like to help you and others.  Please describe in
> > > detail the circumstances that create the problem.  Are you
> > > experiencing buffer overruns or underruns?  How many devices are
> > > sharing the IRQ? What are they?  What happens when you cat a raw file
> > > to the device?  Does this happen with VCHANs?  Have you tried the patch
> > > I posted to -current under the heading "sound patch for pop &
> > > crackles"?
> > > 	Please read the pcm man page for a better description on how
> > > the answer the above.
> > >

> > There are two distinct problems in my case:
> >
> > 1) Load can be virtually zero, moderate, or heavy, either way every few
> >    seconds (anywhere between 2 and 10 seconds or so) I hear snaps or
> >    pops in the output. Some are pretty hard to hear, others are obvious,
> >    depending on what's actually playing.
> >
> > 2) When untarring large gzip'ed or bzip2'ed tarballs, playback begins to
> >    "slow down" to something like half the normal speed or less. I first
> >    noticed this during portupgrade, when the XFree86 tarballs are
> >    unpacked.
>
> FWIW, I have been seeing the same thing (problem 2) while running xmms and
> portupgrade on 4.9-STABLE.  This particular problem is definitely not
> confined to -CURRENT.
Just my $0.02: Problem #1 is not confined to -CURRENT too.
I hear crackles in the output sound on my old pentium running 4.9-stable. And
soundcard there is "simple SB16" too -- ISA CL4135 (afair).
(Sorry, I can't reach it in the moment to get full dmesg.)
It looks like crackles occurs during disk activity -- they sounds exactly
synchronously with IDE LED blinking. I tried to switch vchans on and off,
but without any audible changes.
I'll try the patch mentioned within the few days.
I can post more detailed informaion about hardware if it can be helpful later.

Best regards!
Yan.