Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:52:39 +0200
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: broken INDEX

Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/INDEX
> lists the package youtube_dl-2009.04.06_1, however
> ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/All/youtube_dl-2009.04.06_1.tbz
> does not exist.

Just to clarify this, I'm working on a binary package upgrade tool.
I'm just in the process of removing the last rough corners
before release. Every time the INDEX is broken however, I cannot
continue my testing, because it performs all downloads first and
only starts updates when all required packages are downloaded.

This is not the first time this has happened and I'm wondering, is
this a bug in Tinderbox? Shouldn't packages listed in the INDEX
always be available?
Even if a newer package than the one listed in the INDEX is
available, by not being listed in the INDEX it could as well not
exist at all, as far as I am concerned.

So I think packages should really only be listed in the INDEX if
they are available and only deleted AFTER they have been removed
from the INDEX.

Rant over.
Thank you for your time.