Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:29:14 -0500
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation

Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Tue 02 Feb 2010 at 16:04:51 PST Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:18:41 -0800, Charlie Kester
>> <corky1951@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been trying Exaile and Rhythmbox too. I think I prefer Rhythmbox,
>>> because it handles my .m3u playlists in the way I like. It immediately
>>> lists them in the sidebar under Playlists, and they persist there from
>>> session to session.
>>
>> Yes, that's a really _nice_ feature of Rhythmbox :-)
>>
>> When I am trying to 'enter the zone' and code for 3-4 hours without jumps
>> from one context to another, I often load a large m3u playlist to
>> Rhythmbox
>> and let it repeat itself forever.  Then I start writing and lose
>> myself in
>> the process of creating things instead of going back and forth between my
>> terminal and the player in an effort to "keep the playlist filled with
>> nice
>> music".
>>
>> The context switch from the work I am going to the player is always
>> hurtful
>> for my concentration, so persistent playlists help me avoid it as much
>> as possible.
>
> OTOH, if I want continuous random playback of a playlist without the
> overhead of a graphical music manager, I go with
>
>    mpg123 -C -Z -@ playlist.m3u
>
> in a terminal window.  To make it easier to launch this by clicking the
> m3u file in a file manager like Thunar, I have a desktop settings file
> for it.  ~/.local/share/applications/mpg123-random-usercreated.desktop:
>
>     [Desktop Entry]
>     Encoding=UTF-8
>     Type=Application
>     Terminal=true
>     Name=mpg123-random
>     Exec=mpg123 -C -Z -@ %F
>     MimeType=audio/mpeg

I asked for all opinions, but I need to answer here before my thread gets
hijacked.  I DON'T WANT GUI-less operation, I don't want random playback.  I
really do appreciate your response, but what I'm after is the best possible mp3
player GUI for managing the creation and manipulation of playlist driven playback.

The only possible reason I have for replying  here is to avoid getting all
thouse responses from folks who don't like GUIs.  Hell, I'm usually in that
camp, but not this time.  The suggestion I got for musicpd is a player with lots
of hooks into GUIs (according to the email) but my playback already works
excellently, what I'm after is the GUI, not the server.

I've had some great suggestions so far.  I think I'll go try amarok first, and
maybe rhythmbox next.  You folks are REALLY helpful, thanks!!