Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:58:33 -0700
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        "Michael W. Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: RE: IE for FreeBSD

At 09:00 PM 9/6/99 -0700, Michael W. Akers wrote:
>As for Microsoft and their business practices:
>If you are going to pick nits, please pick legitimate ones!
>Every business on this planet that participates in the free enterprise
system, uses the same business practices and have the same business ethics.
Bar none!

And they use those tactics to various extents... Microsoft happens to be
one of the most extreme.  And because they are/are almost a monopoly, these
tactics are more damaging than they would otherwise be.

>As for your comments about me:
>Well, as for being insane, you might have a point. My I.Q. is 163 and we
all know what people say about people with high I.Q.'s, eh?

Question: you accuse others of being unprofessional, and yet your reply
seems rather... well... unprofessional.  Let's have a show of hands to see
who's impressed by your IQ... anyone?  anyone?  Nope, sorry.

>Since you are an employee of the USGS and by extenuation the U.S.
Government, I find your comment that this email message is your own
opinion, and not that of your employers to be ludicrous at best. I know for
a fact that the message you sent me violates just about all of the
communication policies set forth by the USGS.

I work for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and after 7 gazillion
hours of computer security training, can say that although sending personal
emails from work is against US Gov. policy, there is no way anyone would
_ever_ get punished for it unless that's just about _all_ they did at work,
or the emails compromised security.

>And finally,  as for Microsoft IE4 for UNIX:
>I personally would be delighted to have Microsoft IE4 for UNIX on FreeBSD.

And many of us _wouldn't_ be.  If this was a democracy, we could all vote
about it and be done with it.  Personally, I find comfort in the idea that
it's _very_ unlikely that MS will ever release a FreeBSD version of IE.
Unfortunately, I _can't_ be too sure about a Linux version, but I'm
guessing the Linux-MS rivalry will keep things nicely separate.

>I would also like to see Microsoft Office and Outlook ported to FreeBSD.

Maybe valium could be packaged with them, so those of us who think dancing
know-it-all paper clips should burn in some very unpleasant afterlife
wouldn't smash our computers.

>Outlook is a very good email client (and I have used just about every type
of email client available to FreeBSD, and none of them even come close to
Outlook).

I'm curious as to why every other comment I've heard about Outlook on this
list is negative... Something about automatically formatting all emails in
HTML for some obscure reason, I think.  I wouldn't mind Eudora for FreeBSD,
but I have to say that after using TKrat at work, I think even Eudora 3 is
too full of useless features...

These views are my own, and do not reflect the views of my ISP, my ethernet
card, or any RAM this emails has been cached in.

-Charon