Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:19:18 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        vardyh <vardyh@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: No controller detected when boot FreeBSD 7.0

--------------enig99386433D00C3627F777FB05

vardyh wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> vardyh wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>> I'm a newbie to FreeBSD. I added
>>>    'console=3D"comconsole"'
>>> to /boot/loader.conf and I got
>>>    'hptrr: no controller detected.'
>>> on the next boot. I didn't change anything else except for the=20
>>> 'console=3Dxxx'.
>>> And I had had no problem before that. Could anyone tell me why?
>>> I will very appreciate for your help :>

>> This is just the driver for the HighPoint Rocket Raid controller being=

>> a bit too verbose.  It's detected that you don't have anything compati=
ble
>> with hptrr(4) and (unlike the usual behaviour of most Raid Controller
>> drivers (or drivers for any sort of hardware really)) it considers=20
>> this fact to be of such vital importance that it really had to print o=
ut
>> something on the console.  Needless to say such behaviour has already =

>> been quashed in 7-STABLE and will not appear in 7.1-RELEASE.
>>
>> In other words, it's harmless and you can just ignore it. I suspect=20
>> that this output wasn't actually triggered by your changing
>> the console setting -- there's no conceivable way changing one should
>> affect the other -- but that changing the way the boot messages are=20
>> displayed has managed to draw your attention to it. You probably had=20
>> it before but never noticed.

> But, actually it claimed that no controller detected and asked me to
> specify the root filesystem manually, which wrote:
>=20
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> Manul root filesystem specification:
>                                     eg. ufs:da0s1a
>  ?                              List valid disk boot devices
>  <empty line>           Abort manual input
>=20
> I tried ufs:/dev/ad0s1a, which was the real root filesystem registered
> in my /etc/fstab, but it still could not be mounted. And the same
> direction came out again to asked me to point out the root fs.
>=20
> I tried '?' also, but it seems that no disk devices were found... The
> kernel told me "List of GEOM managed disk devices:", and nothing but th=
> same old direction followed.

Ah.  This is a different problem, unrelated to the 'no controller
detected' message.  Unless you actually /do/ have a controller driven
by hptrr(4)?

Basically your problem is that /dev/ad0 has disappeared -- and as that's
where the boot code expected to mount the root filesystem from, it
threw a big spanner in the works.

Now, ad0 can disappear for a number of reasons:

    * the disk has died

    * the disk was unplugged and then not plugged back in again
      properly

    * the disk was plugged into a different connector internally
      (it could appear as one of ad1, ad2 or ad3 in this case)

    * you changed some BIOS settings and now the system is presenting
      the disk as a SATA device (it could appear as ad4 or ad6 in
      this case)

    * you changed some BIOS settings and now the system has tried to
      generate some sort of RAID from the attached drives -- this could
      appear as ar0, or it could prevent FreeBSD seeing the drive(s) at
      all or it could have just shredded the contents of your disk and=20
      left you up a gum tree.  (Normally you would have had to click=20
      through several dire warning messages in the last case, so this=20
      eventuality shouldn't have been particularly surprising to you)

Check all the connectors.  Check the disk is properly seated, especially
if it's a hotswap device.  Try booting up the installation media or a Fre=
esbie disk or any sort of LiveCD and see what hardware the kernel discove=
rs at boot time.  If you have been changing BIOS settings, try changing t=
hem back to what they were originally. =20

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3