Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 02:36:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   i still don't understand what cvsup does... entirely

I've read the section on cvsup in both the handbook and in Greg Lehey's
book... but it still confuses me.

Lemme explain it the way I understand it and then you guys can correct me
and/or add information (actually i'd really appreciate details).

First, can someone distingusih between ports and between sources?

As far as I can gather it does something with sources... and I think
ports.

If one has a ports and sources list... cvsup updates this list, removing
items that are obsolete with more current information about the latest
port or source.  CVSUP doesn't actually download the port or source to
your system, it merely gives a pointer where you can download the source
or port.

One has the ability to install a port or source by going to the specific
directory and typing "make clean && make && make install" (I think I've
left something out in that command string).

That's what I see cvsup doing...

Now, I have a little more confusion when it comes to upgrading FreeBSD
using this method...

When you run cvsup does it automatically download the latest release
sources?  Or is there a special method you need to download the these
sources?

-Sameer