Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 11:34:45 +0200
From:      Vikash Badal * <psivbl@psimr.persetel.co.za>
To:        "'freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   restricted bash

Greetings

Can anyone assist me with implementing a restricted bash shell.

Currently I am testing a restricted bash shell using the bash 2.01 with the
-r option. After creating 64 processes I get a "fork : Resource temporary
unavailable" error and cannot execute any command. I have used this error to
gain access to an unrestricted bash shell.

Is there any way I can prevent anyone from logging in when a "resource
temporary unavailable" error occurs ?

The kernel is currently 2.2.5 , the restricted shell uses ssh version 1.26
to log into the rest of the network and the box will act as a firewall of
sorts. I cannot recompile the kernel as the box was really stripped down by
my predecessor.

Thanks
Vikash

NaTIS Information System Security