Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:04:52 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        hmmm@alaska.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user ppp

>>>>> "hmmm" == hmmm  <hmmm@alaska.net> writes:

hmmm> -i- don't see a PID for PPP when started as a daemon (-auto) are
hmmm> you sure ?  actually, httpd doesn't show either.  i don't
hmmm> believe daemons have PIDs ...

They do.  The ps command doesn't show them by default, though, because
it assumes that regular users will use the command to find out about
processes they themselves are running, and not processes that the
system's running on its own behalf.  And regular users almost always
run processes under a controlling terminal.

Daemons, however, run without a controlling terminal (which is a Good
Thing (tm)).  :-)

So, you need to tell the ps command to show processes without a
controlling terminal.  I type this out of habit:

	ps -auxww

The -x tells ps to show procs withot a controlling terminal.

Sorry for the lengthy description ... I had too much espresso today!

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov