Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:04:10 -0800
From:      "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        "Chris Howells" <howells@kde.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which motherboards work well with em(4)?

On 2/20/06, Chris Howells <howells@kde.org> wrote:
> After about 9 months of messing around with two servers with em(4) gigabi=
> cards and having continual problems with them randomly stopping working,
> particularly under reasonably heavy load, I think I have finally come to
> the conclusion that they don't work very well with the Asus A7V8X-X Socke=
> A motherboard. [1]
>
> I think it might therefore be time to try a different motherboard. Can an=
> body recommend a board that works well with em(4)? I'm looking for a
> socket A board so I can keep the current Duron 1800, or possibly a Socket
> 754 or 939. Don't really care about the rest of the specifications though
> price is quite important (don't want onboard RAID or SCSI or anything
> fancy).
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> [1 - I've tried everything: various patches; FreeBSD 4, 5 and 6; changing
> the interrupt mode in the BIOS from ACIC to PIC; disabling ACPI...]

I can't really help you with the AMD motherboard, dont get much chance to
work with them at Intel :) However, I wondered exactly what NIC you have?

And have you tried taking the tip of tree driver, Scott and others have bee=
hard at work tweaking it. I can't swear that we are 100% yet, but you
should give that a try before a whole motherboard swap :)

Cheers,

Jack
<Intel LAD>