Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:56:50 +0000
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        "P.van Donselaar" <p.van.donselaar@quicknet.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network problem

P.van Donselaar wrote:

>I posted this message to newbies but got no reaction

That's because it's a question and this is the right list.

>I can't connect to mygateway computer and thus not to the internet. I'm =
using
>two computers,both with FreeBSD 3.3 installed, the gateway is configured=
 as
>follows: rc.conf: # This file now contains just the overrides from
>/etc/defaults/rc.conf # please make all changes to this file.
>
># -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
>ifconfig_fxp0=3D"DHCP"
>linux_enable=3D"YES"
>moused_port=3D"/dev/psm0"
>moused_enable=3D"YES"
>saver=3D"logo"
>keymap=3D"uk.cp850"
>gateway_enable=3D"YES"
>network_interfaces=3D"fxp0 lo0 de0"
>hostname=3D"dj.donselaar"
>firewall_enable=3D"YES"
>firewall_type=3D"open"
>natd_program=3D"/sbin/natd"
>natd_enable=3D"YES"
>natd_interface=3D"fxp0"
>natd_flags=3D"-f /etc/natd.conf"
>ifconfig_de0=3D"inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>xntpd_enable=3D"YES"
>xntpd_flags=3D""
>start_vinum=3D"YES"
>
>I've build my kernel with the options:
>IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT
>
>When I run win2000 on the gateway computer I can ping in both =
directions, With
>BSD 3.3 release running I got the message: sendto: host is down
>It looks like a small problem,
>Has anyone a suggestion?

Have you tried pinging the other machine by IP eg: ping 192.168.0.2 ?
if it works by number and not by name it's probably your /etc/hosts
file needs the name of the other machine mapped to it's IP eg:

192.168.0.1    dj dj.donselaar # The host name of the gateway?
192.168.0.2    other other.donselaar # The host name of the other pc
etc...

HTH
John.