Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 20:24:14 -0400
From:      jmauney@nr.infi.net (Jim Mauney)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Dead Keyboard on IBM ValuePoint after 2.1 Install

Hello,

Finally completed installation of FreeBSD 2.1 (InfoMagic CD) on IBM
PS/ValuePoint 486DX66 with 16MB.  When I boot from 2nd IDE HD
using Lilo, system comes up fine but keyboard fails to respond.  I've
disabled all drivers in kernel except those needed.  Under input,
there are only two shown - Console and Microsoft Mouse.  I disabled
the mouse (has PS/2 style mouse).  Left , lp0, sio0, sio1, floppy, first
IDE, ed0 and ep0 enabled along with Panasonic cd-rom.  Set all
ports, IRQs and RAM values to match the hardware.  Devices get
detected OK.

Telnet into this machine from a Linux host works.  There is one
strange thing, my TERM and TERMCAP entries are set to "dumb"
instead of "cons25" and I cannot get them to default to "cons25".
Changing them to "cons25" works fine for the current session but
that is another problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the dead keyboard problem?
Keyboard works fine with DOS/Win and Linux running on this box.
Note that I also had this problem booting from the install floppy
about 60% of the time.  With HD, it has been 100% so far.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jim Mauney <jmauney@nr.infi.net>

Burlington Industries, Inc.
Greensboro, NC 27410