Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:02:53 -0500
From:      "The Varney's" <KingKong@madbbs.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   H.S. networking (beginners)

Our school is trying hard to keep up with computer technology.  We are in
the process of networking our classrooms, business lab, CAD drawing lab,
computer lab, libraries, and administrative offices.  We currently have the
administrative offices networked with a basic server (4 gig hard drive 64
RAM).  With our current budget we have put in 5 drops in all the rooms
(approx. 30 rooms)- (labs have more) with internet in two of the labs.  We
will be adding a bigger server soon to better handle the new drops.

What we are looking for is:      Putting in Novell or similar to handle both
Mac and IBM compat PC's
                                                    Lotus for inter room
messaging
                                                    An antivirus program
                                                    And a program for
security
                                                    The ability to use both
Mac and PC programs on the same system
                                                     The ability to access
the internet from all pc's
                                                    Share printers

We (technology committee) are looking into different OS systems and are
interested in FreeBSD, but are not quite sure how this system will work for
us.  I have had several people from FreeBSD (supporters?) e-mail me,quite
promptly, with lots of information.   Though all the e-mail has been
informative, I'm still not sure how we can intagrate FreeBSD into our
system.        Thanks.........Kurt         Clymer, NY  (near lake Erie)