Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 04:52:14 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two make questions

Thus spake Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>:
> I have another p?make related question, though. I've searched the
> archives, but cannot find an answer: what is the actual relation between
> "our" (FreeBSD) make, and pmake? It looks like our make is an old fork,
> is that right? Also, is there a package of our make? Does it build on
> other OSes?
>
> I need to run my newly created Makefiles on one sorry RedHat box, and
> the pmake package just doesn't cut it. So, since I couldn't find any
> other rpm on redhat.com, what are my chances should I, say, want to use
> /usr/ports/Mk/* on Linux? (Not that this is actually the case, my
> Makefiles are pretty simple.)

Just about all `make' implementations in use today are mutually
incompatible; pmake and gmake are no exceptions.  If you want to
write portable makefiles, you have to settle for the lowest common
denominator, which is POSIX.  Though it pains me to say it, if you
just care about RedHat and FreeBSD, you might as well write your
makefile for gmake and install gmake on FreeBSD from ports.