Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:21:29 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WindowMaker

> > I'd be interested to know if the update has any significant new
> > features and/or altered functionality or if it's just some bug fixes.
> > I had a look at the version on the 2.2.8 CDs and thought it was
> > pleasant enough but fatally flawed for my customers because of the
> > clumsy method for navigating between desktops. Has that been improved?
>
> You can read the ChangeLog if you want:
>
> 	http://www.windowmaker.org/src/ChangeLog

Thanks.

> Window Maker is not flawed in getting between desktops.

If my customers tell me that it's flawed, then it is flawed.
End of discussion.

> There is however
> no pager which may be what you're used to.  Coming from AfterStep I was
> used to that and initially disliked the fact that Window Maker didn't have
> one as well.  I've since found using a pager to be awkward.

That's obviously personal preference.  I'm used to using both
keys and mice for that (my preferred window manager is fvwm2
which is good that way but is unfortunately broken under
FreeBSD-2.2.8) -- but my customers, who are the people I have to
please when I set up systems, want a pager.

> There are a
> number of ways to get around from desktop to desktop:
>
> 	- the clip

No good, because you have to get it to display the desktops
first and then select one.  These people find that rather
clumsy.

> 	- stick the "Workspaces" menu to the desktop and use that instead

They're not very good at actually doing things like that, so
it's not an option.  And it is much more difficult than just
clicking in a pager box that's always there.

> 	- use the keyboard shortcuts to move around

For reasons that aren't important here, they want to use the
mouse rather than compound keyboard tricks.  That's their
choice, but it all adds up to windowmaker not being a suitable
tool.  I was just curious to see if it had perhaps adopted a
pager for this kind of user, because the rest of the program is
really very nice and would have been a good choice.  I'm not
about to go badmouthing it because it doesn't do what these
people need, I was just curious about its current direction.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>