Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 18:04:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devfs questions

> > >Alas, the next would be fsck'ing, and so the big question is: how are
> > >the slice and partition entries supposed to be created?
> >
> > This doesn't work right yet.  Initially there are only whole-disk device
> > names.  Opening these creates the slice device names.  Opening the
>
> You mean, fsck (or mount) would have to open /dev/rsd0 before trying
> to fsck/mount /dev/rsd0e?

That is how I read it too.  This is a bad thing(tm).  It is an
acceptable penalty(tm) for removable media without change notification.

> I don't really like the current way either.  The fd0.foo entries
> should be symlinks to `generic' fd0a ... fd0z entries, created by
> the rc mechanism instead of by devfs.

Bletch.  The slices should not be there. You are imposing a naming
convention that isn't very flexible an which we would then have
to live with forever.

Better to force "changedisk" and suggest people buy good floppy
drives if they don't want to rely on explicit calls to the utility or
implicit calls to the utility as a result of mount attempts, fsck
attempts, etc.... on the basis that an access is an implicit request
to verify "no change has occured" for removable media without
notification.

The first thing to do is to cause 0x370 referencing code to be added
to the floppy driver so that this is not a problem for 95% of all 3.5"
disks.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---