Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:36:23 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect 8 for Linux

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday, 26 October 1998 at 20:04:03 +1030, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Corel have announced their intention to release a free Linux-native version of
> > WP8, which they are calling a "personal version" and promise it won't be a
> > knackered demo. See http://www.corel.com/news/1998/october/linux.htm for the
> > press release.
> >
> > I suggest it would be a good thing for everyone who would be interested in
> > seeing this work under FreeBSD to go to
> >
> > https://livewire.corel.com/cfscripts/Feedback_forms/feedback.htm
> >
> > and submit feedback politely asking them to consider a FreeBSD native port, or
> > to endeavour that the Linux version is runnable under emulation.
>
> Why do that?

Because it increases the visibility of FreeBSD among people who might not have
heard about it (the Corel developers), and just might influence their thinking
towards future product decisions.

Assume enough of a response was received that the Corel guys sat up and
thought "Wow, theres a market segment we can service", and decide to release a
native version of WP8. Are you saying that would be a bad thing?

> The Linux version should work, and if people get the
> impression that the Linux port is just the tip of the iceberg, they
> might decide not to do it again.

I didnt understand this bit.

Kris