Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:03:08 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ng_ubt with Broadcom BCM92035DGL

Ronald,

>>> I commented out this list of hci-commands one by one and they all
>>> give  the  same error. (Status: Command disallowed [0xc])
>>>  reset
>>> write_scan_enable 3
>>> write_class_of_device
>>> change_local_name
>>
>> none of the commands above is strictly required. well, maybe with
>> exception of 'write_scan_enable 3' command. this command supposed to
>> make bluetooth device answer inquiry from the remote devices, i.e. it
>> makes bluetooth device 'visible' to other devices.
>>
>> what is the output of
>>
>> % hccontrol -n ubt0hci read_node_state
>
> State: 0x3

ok, hci node is initialized

>> % hccontrol -n ubt0hci read_scan_enable

bummer :(

>> % hccontrol -n ubt0hci read_class_of_device

double bummer :(

>> % hccontrol -n ubt0hci read_local_name

triple bummer :(

>> the output above looks fine, so i'd say it should work.
>>
>> - did you enable bluetooth on your phone?
>
> Yes, I did. Would be a nice mistake. :-)

good.

>> - did you make your phone 'visible' to other bluetooth devices (look
>> somewhere under bluetooth security settings)
>
> Yes, I did.

fine, just checking :)

>> - what is your phone make and model?
>
> Sony Ericsson K700i

that phone should work just fine.

> I do not have other bluetooth devices to test with.
>
> And if I ask my phone to search for bluetooth devices it doesn't find
> anything.

yes, most (all) devices will not answer inquiry by default. that is what
write_scan_enable command does.

> I already read quite a lot about it and I think the not working
> write_scan_enable is not good.

correct.

> Can you tell me what 'Status: Command disallowed [0xc]' means?

i've never seen this before. but my guess would be it means exactly what
it says: device has received command and decided that it does not want
to execute it.

> Is this my bluetooth adapter telling I can't issue the command, is it usb?

its adapter. after the command is received the adapter will send hci
event back. one of the fields is a status byte. non-zero status means
something is wrong.

> Or is it in the software (driver)?

no, its adapter.

> Or do you have any other clue about it?

the spec on the web says this adapter is a bluetooth v1.2 adapter. i do
not think it matters (there were no big changes since v1.1 - not in the
hci commands/events at least). will look anyway.

unless i get this specimen into my lab for dissection there is not much
i can do. sorry :(

max