Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 95 14:34:54 EDT
From:      jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com
Subject:   How to get Netscape working...

Hi All,
   Okay, rumor has it that Netscape *will* run under FreeBSD V2.0.5-R
with Xfree86 V3.1.  Uhm, can anyone tell me exactly how?  I posted a
message last week about how I tried to get it working... but noone seems
to ever have had the problem that I'm having (i.e. - no one responded).
So I figured I'd try it again.  Here goes:

	 The fundamental problem is the entire X display seems to lock
	 up whenever I start up Netscape (Netscape-V1.1N...unknown.bsd).
	 Netscape starts up and displays the "normal" blank screen
	 (as dictated by the netscape option file).  However, if I pull
	 down any of the menu options the mouse changes to a reverse
	 arrow and bang, hung X server.  I need to CTRL/ALT/F1 to a
	 new session and kill the Netscape process.  Most of the time
	 the X session comes back to life (that is I can change window
	 focus, etc).

	 I've tried two different window managers (twm and olvwm) just
	 to make sure it wasn't that.  No go.  A 'ps -aux' shows the
	 system apparently in a nice quiecent state (no high CPU users,
	 etc).

	 Any ideas/guesses as to why Netscape is causing such a hang?
	 If it matters, Netscape displays an error about not being able
	 to use uname().  It also doesn't seem to be able to properly
	 handle the DISPLAY environment variable.  That is, if it is
	 setup correctly (I believe, to the local workstation name:0 or
	 localhost:0) it prints out three "can't open display xxx:0"
	 each about 30 seconds apart and then exits.  I need to do a
	 "xhost +" to get it to work.  Xterm and all other X applications
	 seem to work okay and don't show this problem.

Background info:

	System is running V2.0.5-R with custom kernel (CD-ROM IDE patches)
	Xfree86 V3.1.? (Version that ships with 2.0.5)
	P100 (ASUS), 40MB memory, NCR SCSI, SCSI Disks, IDE CD-ROM
	#9XGR64 Pro Graphics (2mb)
	PS/2 Style Mouse (using on-motherboard mouseport)

	I believe that I have the V1 compatibility stuff loaded.  I have
	not explicitly loaded any SCO or BSDI stuff.  Did I miss something
	here?

I have checked the FAQ and mailing archives.  However it wasn't very
revealing other than pointers to ftp.netscape.com and which file to
download. :-(

I'd really like to get this to work so *ANY* help, thoughts, guesses,
etc would be very much appreciated!  I'm totally baffled as to what is
wrong.

Thanks a bunch,
  - jeff