Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:25:10 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        brian@filoli.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: basic questions

    Brian> What is the link - or where is it specified - between the
    Brian> devices probed at boot, and the devices in /dev?

There is none except the hand of the system admin occasionally running
the MAKEDEV script or the rm command.  The core team is working on
something called `devfs' which (I'm lead to believe) enables device
drivers to make their own entries in /dev dynamically.  This is the
SMART way to go and I'm surprised other Unixes haven't implemented
similar technology.

    Brian> In particular simple examples like sio0 to cuaa0 ...

Well, the name of /dev/cuaa0 doesn't matter, the device number (28)
does matter.  I/O operations on /dev/cuaa0 are mapped by the kernel
through something called the device switch into function calls in the
device driver (the sio driver in the case of 28).  When you build a
kernel, each device driver gets an entry in the switch with a
preassigned number.  After booting the kernel, you run MAKEDEV or
mknod to build the software interface for those devices:
/dev/<whatever>.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov