Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 22:34:07 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org, gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: devel/gettext upgrade [patch]

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 11:57:22PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Personally I'm in favour of (4), but not sure that I'll be able to do
> all the work necessary. Perhaps someone has a better idea or
> willing to do the actual work.

(5) do absolutely nothing until it has gained the approval of portmgr@
    (cc'd on this message, others trimmed).

    devel/gettext, just like devel/libtool, has a *huge* number of
    dependencies.  Certainly, it will cripple both GNOME and KDE in
    their current forms.

    I veto this change both as primary FreeBSD/GNOME co-ordinator,
    and also a member of portmgr@.  Remember, bento is still the
    primary building cluster.  We cannot test changes there.  We
    need a second bento for testing modifications in a smaller
    scale, before releasing it to bento, to see what really breaks,
    before committing.

This whole thing reeks of versionitis.  Make a new port, after repo
copy (devel/gettext-devel) - this will probably be relatively short
lived.  Next, create a new knob in bsd.port.mk for USE_GETTEXT,
only it has values "old" and "new", with dependencies set appropriately.

This will provide a simple mechanism to convert ports, one at a time,
over to the new scheme of things.  Once it's done, it's a simple matter
of updating devel/gettext with the new version (perhaps retaining
a devel/gettext-old for those stubborn ports), switching the meanings
of "old" and "new" for USE_GETTEXT, and we break *nothing*.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			       ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/