Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:04:28 +0400
From:      Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov@gmail.com>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stable server

On 8/17/05, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/16/05, dpk <dpk@dpk.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Carstea Catalin wrote:
> >
> > > what version of freebsd do u recomand for a stable server?
> >
> > 4.11 is solid, hasn't shown any problems here. 5.4 is the best of the 5=
.x
> > series but we (I mean at my company, not speaking as a FreeBSD rep)
> > haven't put it through as much stress as we have 4.11
>=20
> 4.x compared to 5.x will always be more stable
> 5.x compared to 6.x will always be more stable
> 6.x compared to 7.x will al....
>=20
> Do you see a trend? 4.x works now but what about in another year, two
> years, or three? Try running the last version of 3.x on today's
> hardware and software, 4.x is already having problems with hardware
> support. FreeBSD 6 already has a -STABLE and it's first release is
> just around the corner, It would be unwise to deploy 4.x unless
> specifically needed.... If you need to build the next Mars rover or a
> persons life depends on the system working then use 4.x, If your
> deploying a new web server or what not you want 5.x, possibly even 6.x
> if you can wait another month or two.

Another month or two?? Are you a pessimist, or do you just know
something I don't know? :-) This page
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/schedule.html says TBD, but I
didn't even imagine the delay could be *that* big.

--=20
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"