Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:03:36 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists_nada@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: connecting to a secured Windows 2003 terminal server

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On July 22, 2008 9:17:45 PM -0400 Simon Chang <simonychang@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Recently my company has updated their server to Windows 2003. The
>>> earlier 2000 server didn't have SSL enabled, so rdp/rdesktop worked for
>>> me without any problem. But now, as I try to connect to the server, it
>>> simply gives me ERROR: recv: Connection reset by peer
>>>

>> Did you make sure that the server has remote administration enabled?
>> I believe that, by default, Win2k3 Servers have RDP disabled.  Check
>> with your admins about that.
>>

> Umm..it's a terminal server....

...ummm, in Windows-land, Terminal Services == rdp (port 3389 TCP).

To the OP:

If NMap is installed on the FBSD box, try:

# nmap -sS -P0 -p 3389 ip_of_rdp_box

..if the port appears open, try:

# telnet ip_of_rdp_box 3389

...and see what you get.

If you see nothing, refer to the logs of the 2k3 server (Event Viewer I
believe it is called).

Failing that, see if there is a 'feature' to drop back to non-SSL mode
for RDP for the time being, to at least get the FBSD boxen to 'see' the
service. Troubleshooting can commence from there.

Steve