Date:      Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:08:37 -0800
From:      Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: debug.log questions

Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2005, at 6:35 PM, Sean Murphy wrote:
>> I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 with sendmail that was included with FreeBSD.
>>
>> There is a debug.log that I have questions about.
>> Is the debug.log just for mail troubleshooting?
>> Can I turn it off or reduce the amount of logging?
>
> No such file exists by default under FreeBSD.  Certainly you can turn it
> off.
> See /etc/syslog.conf, you want to comment out the line mentioning
> debug.log.
>
> And then kill and restart syslogd...
>
> ---Chuck

I just checked two 5.4 servers running sendmail that came with FreeBSD
they both have the /var/log/debug.log just there is no entires in the
debug.log on the second server.  However it just mails the FreeBSD daily
reports to the other server.

Can anyone else check there FreeBSD servers 5.4 running sendmail and
have this debug.log?

-rw-------   1 root  wheel         0 May  8  2005 debug.log

same date as I made the server

excerpt from the syslog.conf

*.=debug                                        /var/log/debug.log

your right there is an entry for the debug in the syslog.conf

however Im pretty sure this file is default FreeBSD