Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:21:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel build

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> I'm trying to build a kernel which will, among other things, let me use my
> full 24 megs of RAM.  edited the config file, make depend came out fine.
> Make chokes rather hard.

The default kernel recognizes up to 64mb.  What does it report for your
machine?

> I get several thousand (yes, thousand) errors, or rather warning,
> interspersed throughout the output lines, about warning: comparison of
> signed and unsigned value.  Can this be normal?

Not in -release.  If you're on -stable or -current then it's somewhat
normal.  What version are you trying to run here?

> Finally, it coughs this up:
> cc -c -O -W -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit
> -nostdinc -I. -I../.. -I../../sys -I../../../include -DI586_CPU -DATAPI
> -DSYSVMSG -DSYSVSEM -DSYSVSHM -DVISUAL_USERCONFIG -DUSERCONFIG -DUCONSOLE
> -DBOUNCE_BUFFERS -DSCSI_DELAY=15 -DCOMPAT_43 -DPROCFS -DNFS -DFFS -DINET
> -DMAXMEM=24576 -DKERNEL -Di386 -DLOAD_ADDRESS=0xF0100000 -DMAXUSERS=20
> param.c
> param.c:82: `TIMEZONE' undeclared here (not in a function)
> param.c:82: initializer element for `tz.tz_minuteswest' is not constant
> param.c:82: `DST' undeclared here (not in a function)
> param.c:82: initializer element for `tz.tz_dsttime' is not constant
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>

> Now, this had BETTER not be normal, or how does one build a kernel?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No, it's not normal.  I don't even know where to start, though.  I'd have
to see your kernel config.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo