Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:03:27 -0700
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Mario Pavlov <freebsd@abv.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [solved] Re: Re: Re: diskless - NFS root mount problem

On 11/16/09, Mario Pavlov <freebsd@abv.bg> wrote:
>  Hi,
> it turned out I was stupid enough to misconfigure the kernel...I forgot that
> I had left the IPFIREWALL options turned on and as you know it's default to
> deny so once the kernel initializes ipfw it blocks everything including NFS
> so that was the whole problem...I removed the IPFIREWALL option and all went
> fine.

Ah, one of those moments.  I have them too.  Good to know it's working
for you, and I would just because I'm the perfectionist personality
type, change a couple of things that won't make a negative impact.

The server's exports has no reason to export the diskless root with
-alldirs.  The system isn't asking for any mountpoint within / so you
can leave off the -alldirs.

2nd, you buildworld and installworld into the diskless root, but never
use it.  You're using disk space you can reclaim.

> thanks again
> mgp

<snip>

Glad it's working, enjoy!