Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:10:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.dhs.org>
To:        Neill Thornton <neillt@coastalnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CTX Laptop Saga...

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Neill Thornton wrote:

> It recognizes the insertion of the card ("Card Inserted, Slot 1" or similar) and then reports "sio2: 16550 UART", but none of the pccardd info comes up (i.e. "Accton PCMCIA Modem Inserted")

Unless you compile pccardd w/-DDEBUG, Insert/Removal messages aren't
present like in 2.2.x; all I get is the 'sio2: 16550 UART' message too.

> It also recognizes the removal, and even frees IRQ 11.
>
> When I re-insert the card, it first says sio2: Unfielded Interrupt (0)
> But then sio2: 16550 UART.

From my understanding, the 'Unfielded Interrupt' messages are harmless.

> It's all a moot point anyway because as soon as I issue the following commands, the machine locks cold:
>
> laptop#ppp
> [snip]
> ppp>set device /dev/cuaa2
> ppp>set speed 57600
> ppp>term
> <machine hangs here, needing a power cycle to bring it back>

It took me about 5 hours to get my modem to work...ended up simply raising
the reset time in pccard.conf; you may want to try...

> I strait copied the files from the tarball into the appropriate directories (/etc/rc.conf, /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/PLUTO, and /etc/pccard.conf)
>
> I kept all the files exactly how they were, with minor changes (hostname, IP addr, gateway, and disable softupdates in the kernel).  I have the same ethernet card, so that pccard.conf entry I left alone, and added the entry for my modem out of pccard.conf.sample.
>
> I compared the dmesg you sent me with the dmesg I have... there are only a few diffs, all minor relating to the 4 GB hd I have vice the 2 GB in yours, and the 266MHz cpu vice 233Mhz.  All the relevent dmesg output is *exactly the same*.
>
> I am beginning to think that it is not the kernel.  The things I am thinking of are:
>
> 1) I am running 3.1-RELEASE.  You are on -STABLE.  Maybe there has been a change to the pcic code since -RELEASE?  How could I check that?  How can I run cvsup if I cannot get on to the net?

I was at 3.1-RELEASE for a few weeks (after following 3.0-CURRENT and
3.0-STABLE) right after it came out...everything has always worked.

> 2) You have a BIOS setting changed somewhere that I do not.  I am including my complete BIOS setup below.  I got the latest BIOS flash from CTX earlier.

I flashed my BIOS a month or so ago...seemed to take care of some APM
stuff mostly.

> 3) Maybe CTX changed the design of the machine itself between the time you got your machine, and I got mine?

This is possible...I bought mine in July...

> 4) That my office is full of bad vibes interfering with pcic?  (One of my friends is a Wicca, he said he will cast a spell on it to see if that helps :) )

Always worth a try.

> I really appreciate you sending me the info.... I am so close I can almost taste it.  I tried the Linksys card for shits and giggles, didn't work, but didn't lock the machine either.
>
> Take a look at the BIOS settings below and see if they hash with yours.... thanks again!
>
> Neill

> BIOS Settings:
>
> SystemSoft Version 1.01 (2482-00)
> SystemSoft BIOS for Intel 430TX Subversion 1.23.09.f
>
> *snip*

Same setting here, except that I have power-saving disabled...I don't know
if that will really affect the system, but perhaps so...

| All the true gurus I've met never | Chris D. Faulhaber     |
| claimed they were one, and always | <jedgar@fxp.dhs.org>   |
| pointed to someone better.        |                        |