Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:07:28 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz>
To:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HCI - HID proxy

--nextPart24168859.W8CBzh8RJt

On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Rui Paulo wrote:
> Hi,
> For my SoC project I developed a userland utility that switches an
> ubt(4) controller from HID to HCI and vice versa.
>
> I have some design issues still being worked out, namely:
> 1) What's the best way to integrate this into the existing
> bluetooth utilities ? Create a new utility called, for example,
> ubthid2hci ? Name suggestions are welcome.
If you haven't seen it, I created a utility just for logitech devices=20
a while back.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bluetooth/2006-December/000824.h=
tml

> 2) According to the hid2hci Linux utility, there are several
> dongles out there that need this tweak in order to work. I was
> thinking we could create a text file with the vendors/products and
> their bootup mode (HCI or HID); use ubthid2hci to read that file
> and then switch the device to HCI mode (or HID mode if the user
> requested it).
> This is mostly what the Linux hid2hci utility does, except that the
> vendor/product table is inside the program.
Couldn't we create something that is run through devd and the checks=20
options from rc.conf?  So we'd have that table file you mention, and=20
we could put the enable/disable options in the rc.conf file. eg.
ubthid2hci_enable=3D"YES"
ubthid2hci_flags=3D"list of vendor/product id pairs here that we want to=20
be used as HCI devices"

> 3) Fix libusb and use hid2hci on FreeBSD.
Isn't hid2hci GPL'd?  We'd want a BSD licensed utility since it'd be=20
in the base.

> Comments?
Looking forward to your results, as it will make life with these=20
devices much easier. :)

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry
amistry@am-productions.biz