Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2020 13:42:39 -0500
From:      Jason Van Patten <jvp@lateapex.net>
Subject:   Re: 12.1 RELEASE General Protection Fault (Trap 9)

On 1/22/20 11:48 AM, Christos Chatzaras wrote:

> I had similar crashes and it was bad RAM.
>
> I recommend to check RAM using the userland memtester if downtime is
> not an option.
>
> Keep in mind that it's better to use memtest86+ as it can check all

Thank you and Matthew for your answers.  My assumption was memory, but I wasn't sure of the errors and core could prove that out without taking the system down for 4+ hours to do a memtest86.  To be honest, the 2 minute random downtime for the reboots is actually less problematic than the 4+ hours it could take.  Heh.

DDR3 is cheap enough; I'll just swap that out and see if it does the deed.  And while I'm at it, I'll re-do the processor's heat sink/fan setup.  I tend to doubt that's the culprit as most chips will just slow themselves down if they get too warm.  And again: this machine is basically sleeping.  Its load average is basically 0, all the time.  So odds of it being a CPU temperature issue are slim-to-none.

--
Jason Van Patten