Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2013 00:30:13 +0100
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to build FreeBSD doc web pages?

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On 2013-02-24 13:35, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I am trying to fix some text in the FreeBSD docs,
> and am trying to build the FreeBSD docs and web pages
> so I can view the output HTML as I am fixing things.
>=20
> What is the correct procedure to do this?
>=20
> I am trying to follow these instructions:
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/fdp-primer/the-website-build.html
>=20
> but those instructions didn't quite do what I wanted, i.e.
> they did not build all the books (such as handbook) and articles.
>=20
> On Freefall, I did this:
>=20
> mkdir -p ~rodrigc/public_html/doc2
> mkdir -p ~rodrigc/public_html/doc1
> cd ~rodrigc/public_html/doc2
> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/doc/head doc
> cd ~rodrigc/public_html/doc2/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1
> make install DOCDIR=3D$HOME/public_html/doc1/doc

The makefile glue for building the website assumes that DESTDIR is also
set to something.  Try installing with:

  cd ~rodrigc/public_html/doc2/doc
  cd en_US.ISO8859-1/htdocs

  env DESTDIR=3D"$HOME/public_html/doc1" \
    make install

Setting DESTDIR during 'make install' for htdocs/ will automatically
also set DOCDIR to $DESTDIR/data/doc so you don't have to specify it
too.

To speed up checks for the 'make install' run, it may also be useful
to set ENLISH_ONLY=3Dyes, so you skip all the translations at first.

What you did ended up installing the Handbook's index.html over the
doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/htdocs/index.xsl output.

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--