Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:14:12 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rhosts and FreeBSD 4.0

I have been using a machine on an internal LAN to do tape backups for
another. Both machines were running FreeBSD 3.4. When I recently
upgraded the machine with the tape backup drive attached to it, the
backups no longer function. The configuration is as follows:

Machine One:
   -requires the ability to 'tar cvzf machine-two:/dev/rsa0 /'

Machine Two:
   -used to allow machine one, (via an entry from /root/.rhosts), to
   perform it's backups remotely
   -recently upgraded from 3.4 to 4.0 -RELEASE
   -no reports errors that authentication failed
   -/etc/pam.conf says rhosts is broken

I understand rhosts is not a 'secure' way of doing things, and that it
posses some serious problems; but it worked. The bottom line is that it
worked, and never caused any problems along the way. I am not opposed to
trying a different method if need be, but to be completely honest I'm
not sure what that different way should be?
   Any ideas, comments, suggestions, or otherwise are greatly
appreciated.

Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.