Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:50:43 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Anniversary

>It's been five years this month since FreeBSD's ancestor, 386BSD 0.0, hit
>the streets.  Anyone remember how much fun it was to install?

   It was...challenging. Bill once commented to me "Anyone who was actually
able to successfully install 0.0 deserves a prize". It's been so long that
I've forgotten the details, but I seem to recall that you had to do everything
by hand with the distribution being a bunch of floppies that were all cat'd
together...and the supported hardware configuration was basically: pccons,
floppy, and wd controller. If you weren't a computer expert (especially with
low level details), you didn't have a snowball's chance. I installed it (if
you can call what had to be done as an "installation") on a 386SX-25 with
4MBs of RAM. ...oh what fun THAT was. :-)

-DG

David Greenman