Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:59:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Jason Mann <jason-freebsdlists@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hme driver acting strangely

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Jason Mann wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I'm running 5.2-RELEASE on a Sun Ultra 5 machine.
>
> It has an on-board Happy Meal ethernet interface, which is handled by the
> 'hme' driver.
>
> If I configure the interface without specifying media and mediaopt, it will
> not establish a full-duplex link with the switch, but otherwise works fine.

  The hme is relatively old hardware.  I don't believe it supports
auto-negotiation.

> If I configure the interface, explicitly specifying full-duplex for the
> mediaopt, a full-duplex link is established, however, no programs can bind
> to UDP ports on that interface. Examples of such programs are named (BIND)
> and ntpd. Logs from named are shown below.

  Well, that is strange.  But is probably better off.  You have a
non-managable switch, which would depend on auto-negotiation.  By
configurating static settings you are disabling auto-negotiation (assuming
the hme hardware even supports it to begin with).

Tom