Date:      Thu, 13 May 2004 17:42:24 -0400
From:      Wesley Shields <wxs@csh.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISA Soundblaster AWE 64 Gold doesn't work on 5.X?

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 10:15:39PM +0100, Nuno Teixeira wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> I have installed a SB awe 64 gold ISA/pnp card on FreeBSD 5.2.1 and I
> can't make it working.
>
> mpg123 gives an error saying channel dead, but I can play cds ok:
>
> "pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead"
>
> I have searched google and I found that FreeBSD 4.8 works ok with this
> device and 5.x don't. Is this true?
>
> I have device pcm and sbc in my kernel and dmesg shows:
>
> "
> sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64 Gold> at port
> 0x388-0x38b,0x330-0x331,0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 5,1 on isa0
> pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.16> on sbc0
> "
>
> Do I need to install the 4.x to fix this?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> 	Nuno Teixeira

I also have an ISA AWE 64 Gold card in a 5.2.1 box.  I don't receive the
same error as you (nor do I know what is causing your error) but I do
get distorted audio when playing sound through that card.  I'm not
entirely sure if installing 4.x will be the best solution for your
problem, since I can at least get audio through mine you might be able
to get some also.

I have a feeling interrupt storms are causing the crackled audio on my
configuration, but I haven't bothered to track the source down.

-- WXS