Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 10:26:39 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Peter Kok" <peter@sweda.com.hk>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: conflict solve?

On Wed, 02 Sep 1998 20:49:23 +0800, Peter Kok wrote:

>Hello
>
>>From handbook, i got printer setup as follows:
>
>To find out if the kernel supports a parallel interface, type
>
>     dmesg | grep lptN
>
>where N is the number of the parallel port, starting from zero. If you
>see output similar to the
>following
>
>When i typed >
>
>dmesg | grep lpt0
>

>it prompted >
>
>lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irp 7 on isa
>lpt0: interrupt-driven port
>lpt1 not probed due to I/O address conflict with lpt0 at 0x378
>

>how do i solve?

It found your 1st printer (lpt0) properly.  It is merely stating that
the definition for lpt1 conflicts, which isn't a problem if you only
have one printer (at lpt0).  You can get rid of lpt1, and therefore
this message by one of the following:

1. At the boot: prompt, type "-c" to invoke the configuration tool,
then at the config prompt type "v" to place the tool in visual mode.
In the top section, uncollapse "Communications" and find the definition
for lpt1. Use the "delete" key to remove lpt1 from your configuration.
This definition is now in the lower section, titled "Inactive Drivers".
 If you ever decide to hook up a second printer, move it from the
bottom section to the top, and give it a valid i/o address that doesn't
conflict with lpt0, i.e., the standard adx for lpt1 is 0x278 (please
note that most books use Mickeysoft/Intel convention of calling this
printer port lpt2, and out lpt0, they call lpt1).

2. You could also remove the driver from the kernel, by removing it
from the kernel config file in /sys/i386/conf and rebuilding the
kernel.