Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 02:24:32 +0200
From:      Alexander Sanda <entropy@compufit.at>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IPFILTER LKM ?

I wonder, if everyone has managed to build IPFILTER as a lkm without
doing ugly things <tm> :)

First, I tried it "the normal way" but without success. Activating
IPFILTER_LKM doesn't result in a loadable module, so I disabled the
"options IPFILTER" which resulted in no ipfilter at all. The lkm build
process in src/lkm doesn't seem to know anything about if_ipl.o and the
build process in src/contrib/ipfilter doesn't work on -current (at
least it doesn't for me).

However, after looking a bit into the code, I managed to build the
if_ipl.o module from the sources in sys/netinet. I wrote my own
makefile (derived from the makefile in src/contrib/ipfilter) and
corrected 2 lines in mlf_ipl.c (MOD_MISC() instead of MOD_DECL, and
updated DISPATCH() ). I rebuilt the kernel with IPFILTER disabled and
IPFILTER_LKM enabled, compiled the ipfilter module, and everthing seems
to work.

Am I doing something wrong here ? I'am not a very experienced kernel
guy, so I would like to consult the gurus here.

--
# /AS/                               http://privat.schlund.de/entropy/ #