Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:06:19 -0700
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0 install freeze with fxp0

Hello,

I finally decided to try out 3.0, but have run into some trouble.  The
install hangs on "adding route" (on the debugging screen, alt-f2).
Further investigation reveals that for some reason my on-the-motherboard
Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 net card is not autodetecting my 10baseT
hub.  The hub light will flash green for an instant when I first plug
the box in, then stay dark, while the green link light on the
motherboard stays lit.  Weird!

I've tried manually adding "media 10baseT/UTP" to the additional
ifconfig lines as well as manually doing the ifconfig from the
holographic shell.  Nothing seems to work, yet I know that while I had
2.x running this beastie, all was well and it autodetected the hub just
fine.  The ifconfig behaves as though all is well, showing the MAC
address and media type autodetect (or 10baseT/UTP when forced to that
mode with the additional arguments).

Is this a hardware problem or software or combination of both?  The
motherboard is a dual PII board (I've only been using 1 CPU but I'd like
to change that if I can get up to speed with 3.0-CURRENT) with onboard
EtherExpress net card, onboard Symbio-something-or-other (basically the
new name for NCR) SCSI and onboard Cirrus VGA stuff.  (Ack, where did I
put the manual for this thing!)

Any ideas are welcome and I am grateful!

Aaron out.