Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:09:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dump produces setsockopt error. Why?

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > > You need to tell itsdsv3 to accept rsh connections.
> >
> > This is true, but I've already done this.  On itsdsv3 I have a dummy user
> > set up that has write permission to the tape drive device.  In this dummy
> > user's home dir I have a .rhost file with entries of the sort:
>
> [ user info ]
>
> Looks OK...
>
> > I have these dumps being invoked from a script.  The script does this:
> >
> > 1. uses mt to rewind remote tape
> > 2. uses mt to possibly skip forward x number of file marks
> > 3. invokes dump several times to backup various local file systems
> >
> > Until recently, it worked fine, every time.  Lately, however, I've been
> > getting a "connection refused" error with step 2 or with the first dump
> > invocation in step 3.  If the latter, then the first partition dump is
> > aborted but _all_other_ dumps complete without error!!!
>
> I wonder if you are hitting one of the minor problems that sometimes rears
> up with rsh.  We've had trouble in the past (2.1.x series) with rsh not
> responding to connections for 30s after the last one has closed.  You
> might try sticking a 'sleep 30' between the commands, just to make sure
> everything has settled before continuing to the next step.

Ah-ha!  At some point I had stuck in five second delays, which I thought
had helped... but 30 seconds seemed to do the trick.

Thanks very much!!!
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx