Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 04:20:02 +0300
From:      "Vladislav V. Anikiev" <vladani@mail.spbnit.ru>
To:        "Brian Reichert" <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: MAC address

 Hello Brian,

  The MAC address - I meen The Media Access Control address (i.e., ethernet
hardware address, not IP address). I want to use the default hardware (not
current physical ) address in my license management software.

  Why did you write: "Depending on the NIC". The NIC means Network
Information Center. Doesn't it ?

 Vladislav

----------
> От: Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
> Кому: Vladislav V. Anikiev <vladani@mail.spbnit.ru>
> Копия: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> Тема: Re: MAC address
> Дата: 8 февраля 2002 г. 5:45
>
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:45:01PM +0300, Vladislav V. Anikiev wrote:
> >
> >   Hello everyone,
> >
> >  I'm writing some license management software. It needs to be
node-locked.
> > I would like to use an ethernet MAC address. There are two addresses
> > (default hardware address and current physical address). I would prefer
> > use the default hardware address, because it can't be changed by
setting in
> > software.
>
> Depending on the NIC, the MAC address _can_ be changed.  Unless
> I've completely misunderstood you...
>
> And, what if you have two NICs?
>
> >   How can I take  this default hardware address (I'm using FreeBSD 4.4
> > curently)?
>
> The output from 'dmesg' seems to record the device's MAC address
> before it mght get changed via ifconfig.  But, that's not preserved
> forever...
>
> >   I've found out the way how it works in "ifconfig", but in this case
I've