Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:06:59 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, jswarner@uswest.net (Joe Warner), mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org (Michael Lucas)
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine?

Ok, then advertising shouldn't be an issue and the editor I spoke with at
Linux Magazine
was simply misinformed, right?

What I've been hearing thus far, is that a large number of advertisers
don't advertise
their products as being compatible with the BSDs because, amid the current
popularity of Linux, haven't heard of the BSDs or for unknown reasons,
haven't
referenced the BSDs in their ads.

When I started the long thread (BSD Magazine?) a while back, I saw quite a
number
of responses stating that demand for a magazine in print wouldn't be the
issue,
finding adequate sponsorship and advertising would.

So, it seems if a BSD focused magazine is to become a reality, efforts need
be made to spread the word to the advertisers as well as publishers, with
heavy emphasis on the previous.

Joe

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Terry Lambert|
|        |          <tlambert@pri|
|        |          menet.com>   |
|        |                       |
|        |          10/02/00     |
|        |          02:58 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org (Michael     |
  |       Lucas)                                            |
  |       cc:     jswarner@uswest.net (Joe Warner),         |
  |       freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG,                      |
  |       freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, (bcc: Joe           |
  |       Warner/SMS)                                       |
  |       Subject:     Re: BSD Magazine?                    |
  >---------------------------------------------------------|

> > Why would advertising be such a big problem, since most applications
> > that are made for Linux, will run on *BSD?  What products are
> > made for Linux exclusively and won't run on *BSD?
>
> While advertisers do make products that *run* on BSD, they don't
> advertise their products as being usable on BSD.  All the difference.

This is wrong.  Many companies support BSDI or FreeBSD
versions, and have since the glibc2 debacle made it nearly
impossible to maintain only a single Linux distribution.

A good example is Zend, which builds a PHP optimizer, and
distributes 1 FreeBSD version and 3 Linux versions of the
same program because of binary incompatability between
Linux distributions.

                         Terry Lambert
                         terry@lambert.org
---