Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:16:31 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dust out your heat syncs!

--==_Exmh_1197670590_6001P

This is a bit off topic, but I have commented on the issue of dusty heat
syncs in the past. With the recent discussion of the high temps generated
by the last V7-beta on some systems (not mine), I thought that I would
remind folks.

I just dusted out my 2.5 year old laptop (2 GHz Pentium-M) and the
difference was impressive. (And so was the cloud of dust I blew out!)

Quiescent temperature dropped from 60C to 53C and the peak temperature
during a kernel build dropped from a very toasty 90C to a comfortable
72C. 18C (32F) is a huge improvement!

The dust either a laptop or a tower can collect is impressive, even in a
fairly clean environment. I suspect an annual cleaning of heat syncs
could significantly increase both the reliability and lifetime of
systems.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)