Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 20:27:50 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <redprince@redprince.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

At 08:05 14-05-2000 -0700, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>	please, a little perspective.  GPL and Stallman are not evil.
>Clearly do not agree with them, but debasing the meaning of the word
>evil is the wrong thing to do.  Consider some of the evil behaviors
>people have engaged in, and compare them to the GPL and Stallman.  The
>same word should not be used to describe both.   Once a person
>characterized those that have different views as evil, discussion is
>no longer reasonable and people begin to turn to other methods to deal
>with what they have determined to be evil.

It's all relative. It is not about disagreeing. I believe GPL to be
destructive and dangerous. Whether that is Stallman's intent is irrelevant.
If we just sit quietly and do nothing, GPL can cause serious damage to the
future of programming.

My use of the dictum had nothing to do with religion (as further discussion
seems to imply).

For what it's worth, I did not say Stallman was (or was not) evil. I do
perceive the effects of GPL as destructive.

Adam