Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2005 01:43:36 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Michael Madden <madden@cmsrtp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programming with Bourne or C shell

On 2004-12-31 21:20, Michael Madden <madden@cmsrtp.com> wrote:
> I have most of my interactive shell experience using bash on Linux and
> shell programing on Unix-like systems with Bourne shell.  Since
> FreeBSD's default shell is csh/tcsh, I was wondering if it's still
> considered an atrocity to develop shell scripts with C shell:
>
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

Yes.

There is no good reason to use csh for batch shell scripts.  On the
contrary, as the URL quoted notes, there are many reasons why you
shouldn't :-)

> Are most FreeBSD users still using csh or tcsh has their interactive
> shell and sh for programming?  I think it would be nice to use the
> same interactive and programming shell for consistency.

I use sh(1) for shell scripting.  Being able to write sh-like mini
scripts on the command line, as the need arises, like:

	$ for fname in * ; do lname=`echo $fname | tr A-Z a-z` ;
	    mv -i "${fname}" "${lname}" ; done

is also a nice thing, so I mostly use bash for interactive stuff.

- Giorgos