Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:43:07 -0000
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PPPoE Daemon Problems

Hi, I have a Windows XP computer connecting to a FreeBSD 4.8 Stable box =
running PPPoE Daemon. The connection, disconnection works perfectly - =
however if I yank out the cable of 'live' PPPoE connection (or terminate =
it via a windows crash) on the Windows XP PC, the tunnel interface fails =
to be placed in a 'down' state on the PPPoE FreeBSD box. This results in =
a debug error informing me that:

Error: ipcp_InterfaceUp: unable to set ip address

repeatadly. Only a reboot seems to resolve the issue. I assume this =
message is referring to the fact it thinks the IP address is in use and =
bound to a tunnel currently in an 'UP' state. Does PPP not maintain a =
link state? Is this a bug? Or is their a way around the problem so that =
when a user terminates, the tunnel is brought down gracefully at the =
FreeBSD end, freeing the IP address?

My ppp.conf is:

default:
    set log Chat Command Phase