Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 23:40:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@wit401310.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Joe Gleason <clash@zogbe.tasam.com>
Cc:        bod@tasam.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 Install World problems on all systems

On 21 Mar, Joe Gleason wrote:
> cp /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin/install-info /usr/bin
>
> If this is done after make buildworld and before installworld, it should
> be groovy.
>
> The old version of install-info does not work correctly when doing
> the installworld.

This reminds me of the trouble I got after doing that. I had missed the
notion that i neded to compile a new kernel first, so after doing this
my /bin/sh's exec-ed by make started raining core-dumps on me. No need
to say my install was pretty much screwed after that. The only thing
still working was the shell I statred the make installworld from...
Eventually I managed to get things working from the emergency
holographic shell in the install boot floppies (Unfortunately I did
install /bin first, which happily overwrote most of my /etc files).

To prevent this in the future: Maybe it is an idea to test if the newly
compiled versions of installation programs like sh, cp, mv, etc.
actually do work in the current environment? That gives a good warning
that something is going wrong, and it doesn't screw up your working OS.

Now I suppose this doesn't *ensure* a correct install, but it does
decrease the risks.

Another suggestion: In sysinstall, make /bin and /etc two different
install sets instead of the one that's in it now, so that installing
just /bin to recover the programs you need doesn't erase your setup.

--

Alban Hertroys                              http://wit401310.student.utwente.nl